This simple Vegan Chai Cupcakes recipe will turn everyone’s favorite sweet and spicy tea into a delectable dessert. Made with mostly pantry ingredients and less than 20 minutes of active work, these tasty treats are perfect for cold-weather gatherings and holiday parties!
For the Chai Spice Mix:
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the Chai Cupcakes:
- 1 bag of chai tea
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Chai Frosting:
- 1 stick vegan butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–2 tablespoons plant-based milk
- Prepare the Muffin Tin: Preheat the oven to 350°F, grease a 12-cup muffin tray, and line with paper baking cups.
- Make the Chai Spice Mix: In a small bowl, mix all of the chai spices. Set aside.
- Steep the Tea: Bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan or heat it up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat or microwave and add the tea bags. Allow the tea to steep for 10 minutes.
- Make the Cupcakes: Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and half of the chai spice mix. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the butter together with the sugar until combined (about 2 minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, then beat in the milk mixture, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract for another minute.
- With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the cupcake batter evenly amongst the previously prepared muffin tin so each liner is about 3/4ths of the way full. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and come out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the Frosting: With a handheld or stand mixer, beat the stick of butter until it’s light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add half of the chai spice mix, and then gradually stir in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until the powdered sugar is completely mixed in. Then, add the vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of plant-based milk and beat for 2-3 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy. If the frosting seems too thick you can add 1 tablespoon at a time until you have your desired consistency. If the frosting seems too thin, add 1/4 cup of powdered sugar at a time until you have your desired consistency.
- Place the frosting into a piping bag and frost each cupcake. Add a cinnamon stick to each cupcake as a garnish if desired, and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven