Flavorful vegan spicy noodle stir fry recipe with mushrooms! Who needs takeout when you can make something this delicious at home?
For the Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons agave
- 1/2 teaspoon Vegetable Better Than Bouillon
- 2 teaspoons ground bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (or more if you want it extra spicy)
- 1 tablespoon oil (can use whatever oil you prefer, I used canola oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon shredded nori
- 1/3 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes depending on how spicy you want it
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Stir-Fry:
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 cups king oyster mushrooms, medium diced
- 1 cup crab flavor mushrooms, medium diced
- 1 cup enoki mushrooms, medium diced
- 1 cup wood ear mushrooms, medium diced
- 1/2 cup bok choy stems, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, medium diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, medium diced
- 1/4 cup green onion stems (white part), thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 16 ounces Thai rice noodles
- 1 cup green part of box choy, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to boil for the rice noodles. Once it boils, add the rice noodles and remove from heat. Let the noodles sit for about 8-10 minutes until they are cooked through. Once cooked, drain the water and rinse the noodles under cold water. Set aside.
- While the waiting for the water to boil and rice noodles to cook, wash and chop all of your veggies so they are ready to go.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan with 2 tablespoons of oil over high heat. Once heated through, add all of the mushrooms with salt and pepper to the pan. Let them sweat for about 3 minutes until they are slightly browned from the hot pan. Put them in a bowl and set aside.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of oil to the pan. Then, add in the bok choy stems, green pepper, red pepper, green onions and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in bean sprouts and cook for 1 more minute.
- Turn off the heat and add in the mushrooms and rice noodles. Stir to combine.
- Add in the sauce and mix until completely combined.
- When ready to serve garnish with green part of bok choy and cilantro. Enjoy your homemade takeout!
Feel free to use whatever mushrooms you have on hand! I went to the Asian grocery store to pick up some speciality mushrooms, but any mushrooms would work great in this recipe.
I love using a cast iron for these types of recipes because they hold heat really well and give a a slight sear to the vegetables.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 3 Cups
- Calories: 561
- Sugar: 15.7g
- Sodium: 1850mg
- Fat: 15.2g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8g
- Carbohydrates: 78.4g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 9.8g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: takeout, stir fry, rice noodles, savory, mushrooms