There is nothing better than street food, and one of my favorites is vegan elote, AKA Mexican street corn. The amazing combination of a creamy Mexican crema, chili powder, fresh lime juice, and vegan cheese is like a fiesta in your mouth!
- 4 ears of corn on the cob, shucked
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest from one lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (save some for garnish)
- 1/2 cup vegan feta cheese or vegan parmesan
- Optional: a pinch of cayenne if you like heat
- Lime wedges for serving
- To grill corn: Preheat the grill or a grill pan to medium-high. Grill the corn without the husks, turning regularly until the corn is slightly charred on all sides (about 10 minutes). To boil corn: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the corn and boil for about 5-8 minutes or until the corn is tender.
- While the corn is grilling, prepare the Mexican crema by whisking together the mayo, sour cream, chili powder, salt, lime zest, cayenne if using, half of the cilantro, and half of the cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- With a brush or the back of a spoon, spread the crema over each corn on the cob, turning the corn as necessary. Then, sprinkle the remaining cilantro and cheese over each corn on the cob.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges for squeezing on top!
If you’re making this for a party or want less mess, serve the corn in cups/bowls instead! Simply, cut the corn off of the cob after cooking, mix it with the Mexican crema, and top with cilantro, cheese, and fresh lime juice. Now you have individual, party-sized serving cups (also known as esquites or elote en vaso)!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grill or Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: corn, mayo, sour cream, chili powder, lime, cilantro, Mexican, grilling recipes