A hearty vegan meatloaf made from quinoa, lentils, and mushrooms brushed with a ketchup glaze. A great vegan entree to serve for the holidays or any ol’ day!
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water (2 cups for the lentils and 2 cups for the quinoa)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon egg replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons water (the equivalent of one egg)
- 1/2 white onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup baby Bella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley stems, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
For the glaze:
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard (or sub yellow mustard)
- Add the lentils, bay leaf, and 2 cups of water to a pan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer. Cover the lentils and allow them to simmer for 40 minutes until they’re cooked through.
- In another pot, bring 2 cups of water to boil. Add the quinoa and allow it to boil for 5 minutes. Then, turn off the heat, cover, and let the quinoa sit for 20 minutes until the water has absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Mix your egg replacer with water and set it aside to thicken.
- Add the cooked lentils and quinoa to a large minx bowl. With a silicone spatula, fold in the onion, garlic, mushrooms, parsley, tomato paste, brown sugar, baking powder, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper, celery salt, chili powder.
- Then, fold in the breadcrumbs, flour, and “egg,” until just combined. Be careful to not overmix so your meatloaf doesn’t end up too dense.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8×4 loaf pan, and cook for 50 minutes. While the meatloaf is cooking mix together the ketchup, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, and mustard in a small bowl to make the glaze.
- After 50 minutes, remove the meatloaf from the oven and spread the glaze evenly over top. Place the meatloaf back in the oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow the meatloaf to cool for 10 minutes, before slicing into 8 equal slices. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven & Stovetop
- Cuisine: Holiday
- Serving Size: 1 slice of meatloaf
- Calories: 219
- Sugar: 9.7g
- Sodium: 791mg
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 34.1g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Protein: 12.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: lentils, meatloaf, mushrooms, quinoa, thanksgiving, Christmas, vegan entree, vegan protein