Easy to make vegan millionaire shortbread bars that taste like a homemade Twix bar! Ready to make this delicious vegan dessert?
A few months ago, I had no idea what millionaire shortbread bars even were. I was headed home for the holidays when my friend and fellow vegan, Kyle, sent me a recipe from The Conscious Plant Kitchen and asked me to make them for him.
I was delighted at how simple this dessert was to make and how decadent and delicious the bars were. They taste exactly like a homemade Twix Bar! Inspired by The Conscious Plant Kitchen, I decided to make my own version of vegan millionaire shortbread bars,
What are Millionaire Shortbread Bars?
A typical millionaire shortbread bar consists of three layers. The bottom layer is a buttery shortbread cookie, then a chewy caramel layer, and finally a rich chocolate layer.
I’ve seen many variations of the basic recipe for these bars. You can opt for a no-bake shortbread cookie, do a nut butter caramel layer, or put a chocolate ganache on top. Any route you choose, I’m positive your tastebuds are going to thank you!
How to Make Vegan Millionaire Shortbread Bars?
Millionaire bars are pretty easy to make. You have to be patient, though, because you have to refrigerate/freeze each layer before adding another layer over top, but the wait is so worth it.
For this recipe, I decided to go with a classic crispy shortbread cookie as the base. I wanted to make these a little healthier than the original by doing a date caramel instead of a super sugary, buttery caramel. Lastly, I made it easy on myself and used melted chocolate for the top layer.
How to Perfectly Cut Millionaire Bars, Brownies, or Any Dessert Bars
Picture this… you have just finished making these millionaire shortbread bars or vegan brownies, and you go to cut them into squares. You slice your knife down the center of your dessert and crack the chocolate layer of your millionaire bars or come out with a huge glob of brownie stuck to your knife. THE HORROR!
Unfortunately, this is exactly what happened to me on the day I had scheduled my photo shoot for this recipe. I had to make the entire recipe all over again so I could cut the bars into perfect squares.
Luckily, my fellow foodie friends Kirby from One More Clove and Shannon from Cookie with Shan gave me some tips on my second go.
There are three secrets to ensure you make a perfect cut every time when dealing with brownies or dessert bars:
- Allow your dessert to come to room temperature before cutting it. For brownies, this means letting them cool down, and for millionaire bars, this means letting them warm up after taking them out of the refrigerator.
- Heat your knife under hot water for a few seconds to get it nice and warm. This will allow you to slice through anything like butter!
- Always wipe and reheat your knife after each cut. You want no residue from the last cut left on your knife so you can get a super clean cut.
Millionaire Shortbread Storing and Freezing Tips
Because these bars are egg-free and dairy-free, they can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days. Store them in an airtight container so your shortbread and caramel retain their textures.
Alternatively, baked goods tend to keep very well in the freezer too if you don’t want to eat them all at once. When storing them in the freezer make sure to place a layer of parchment paper between each square so they don’t stick together. These bars will keep for up to three months in the freezer!
These vegan millionaire shortbread bars are the ultimate dessert for so many reasons! They are:
I can’t wait for you to try these bars! If you make this recipe I would so appreciate it if you left a comment and rating below. Make sure you are also following along on Instagram and Pinterest for more food inspiration!
Want more drool-worthy dessert recipes? Check out some of my other favorites on the blog:
- Strawberry rosemary scones
- Raspberry custard tart
- Chocolate chia seed pudding
- Baked glazed matcha donuts
- No bake cookie dough bites
Vegan Millionaire Shortbread Bars
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 Squares 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Easy to make vegan millionaire shortbread bars that taste like a homemade Twix bar!
For Shortbread Layer:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup vegan butter (I use Earth Balance), softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For Caramel Layer:
- 30 dates (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For Chocolate Layer:
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use the Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat oven to 350° and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Soak dates in warm water before making the shortbread layer.
- Make the shortbread layer – With a hand mixer, beat together the sugar, butter, and vanilla extract until fluffy. Slowly add flour and salt and beat on low just until the mixture is combined. Be careful to not overmix, the dough will be crumbly. Spread the dough evenly into your prepared pan and prick with a fork several times. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges are slightly brown. Let it cool completely before adding the caramel layer on top.
- Make the caramel layer – Drain dates and add them along with the rest of the ingredients (almond milk, coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt) to a food processor or blender. Combine until you have a gooey caramel texture. You can add a little more almond milk if it is too thick. Once the shortbread layer has completely cooled, spread the caramel evenly overtop. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Make the chocolate layer – Melt the chocolate chips in 30-second intervals in the microwave until completely melted through. Pour evenly over the chilled caramel layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes until the chocolate has set.
- Cut into 16 squares to serve and enjoy!
To line your pan perfectly with parchment paper, spray nonstick spray directly onto the pan. This will allow the parchment paper to stick to the pan. Rip off a sheet of parchment paper that is an inch or two larger than your pan. Cut a diagonal line in each corner that is an inch or two long. These cuts will allow the parchment paper to fold over itself in the corner and create a barrier between your baked good and the pan.
Remember the three secrets to cutting perfect millionaire bar squares: allow the bars to come to room temperature, run your knife under hot water and wipe your knife clean after each cut.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Bars
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 383
- Sugar: 19.8g
- Sodium: 158mg
- Fat: 27.7g
- Saturated Fat: 17.9g
- Carbohydrates: 33.9g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: dessert, chocolate, caramel, dates, shortbread