This sparkling rosé Aperol spritz is bubbly, refreshing, and made for spring and summer! The best part? This crowd-pleasing cocktail only has 3 ingredients!
Ah, a cold, sparkling drink—as the weather warms up, there are few things as refreshing! This sparkling rosé Aperol spritz is truly made for the spring and summer months!
Read on to learn more about this famous Italian cocktail and how you can make your very own, 100% vegan, sparkling rosé Aperol Spritz!
What is an Aperol Spritz?
This classic drink from northern Italy has seen a big surge in popularity again in recent months. In essence, this is a colorful cocktail that uses Aperol, a particular liqueur known for its bright red-orange color. The traditional recipe is Aperol, prosecco, club soda, and fresh orange garnish. If you’re wondering what Aperol is, it’s a kind of bitter liqueur made with certain herbs, including rhubarb, which helps give it that unique color.
Aperol actually has a history of around one hundred years, and apparently gained a lot of popularity thanks to the Austrian soldiers located in northern Italy. They found the Italian wines rather strong but also didn’t want to carry Austrian beers with them over the Alps. So, they added some club soda (a “spritz”) to the Italian wines to make them less strong. From there, the Italians borrowed the idea while also adding a local liqueur (which eventually became Aperol).
What Does Aperol Taste Like?
Aperol is a bitter liqueur, so it’s not usually enjoyed on its own. That said, it has a sweet odor, which is somewhat citrusy, while packing a bit of an herbal punch. It’s most often used in the now-famous “Aperol Spritz.”
Is Rosé Vegan?
Is rosé vegan? Well, that depends. Many wines go through a process called “fining.” In this process, animal products have been traditionally used as fining agents, including isinglass (i.e. fish bladder).
Luckily, many wines are now certified vegan-friendly, and you can always search on a site like Barnivore to see if your alcohol is vegan. Here are some vegan rosés that you can trust that are 100% vegan:
- Stella Rosa Rosé
- Stella Rosa Ruby Rosé Grapefruit
- Layer Cake Rosé
- Stella Rosa Pearl Lux Rosé
- Lumos Chiquita Rosé
- Yes Way Rosé
- California Roots Rosé
- Menage à Trois Rosé
- Bellissima Sparkling Rosé
Vegan Sparkling Rosé Aperol Spritz Ingredients
- Aperol – Aperol is a liqueur with roots in Italy. While a little bit citrusy, it has an interesting herbal flavor to it. It also has a unique color that may or may not be naturally produced.
- Rosé – Rosé wines are somewhat in between traditional red and white wines. In this recipe, a rosé helps contribute even more to the striking color of the cocktail. Look above for information about finding vegan rosés!
- Soda water – Soda water, club soda, sparkling water—these are all essentially different names for the same thing: water with carbonation. Adding this kind of water helps make the Aperol Spritz nice and bubbly. It also dilutes the alcohol content, which may make it more palatable (and more sensible if you’re drinking during the day!).
- Orange slices – Oranges, as you probably know well, contain a lot of vitamin C, just like other citrus fruits as well as the tropical fruits used in this recipe. While orange juice can be acidic and high in sugar, when consumed in moderation it can help us easily meet our daily vitamin C requirement.
Step-by-Step Recipe Instructions
- Add ice to a wine glass so it is 1/3rd of the way full.
- Add the Aperol and rosé and stir to combine.
- Top off the drink with a splash of sparkling water.
- Garnish and enjoy!
How do I make an Aperol Spritz even fancier?
Good question! It can be fun to dress up drinks, whether it’s for a date night, special occasion, or just to feel a little bit fancier at home! You can add fresh fruit like orange slices, grapefruit, or peaches. You could also add rosé ice cubes, which add a fancy touch and also ensure that your drink doesn’t get diluted as the ice melts. This is especially nice when it’s hot out!
When is the best time to drink an Aperol Spritz?
An Aperol Spritz is light enough to eat with a meal but also refreshing enough to enjoy during a hot summer day. It also makes a great apéritif (before dinner drink).
Can you make an Aperol Spritz ahead of time?
I don’t suggest it, actually, because all the bubbles will go flat if you make it ahead of time. This is a drink that’s best enjoyed right after preparation!
What are the best garnishes for an Aperol Spritz?
I prefer fresh orange slices and rosemary, but you can add whatever you prefer. A flower is also a nice touch to make it extra pretty!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This recipe is a fun spin on a classic cocktail. Super simple to make, it’s a real crowd pleaser and can be dressed up to look even fancier! This drink is…
- Simple – Just a few steps and no time at all before you’re enjoying this delicious drink!
- Crowd-pleasing – This is a fun drink that just about anyone can love. It’s great for BBQs, brunches, date nights, hot summer days—really whenever!
- Refreshing – The sparkling aspect of this cocktail as well as the ice and citrus flavors help make this a delicious and refreshing beverage for the spring and summer months.
Let me know if you try out this recipe for a sparkling rosé Aperol spritz, and if you do, I would love it if you left a rating and review below! Make sure you are also following along on Instagram and Pinterest for more food inspiration.
Try more delicious drink recipes below:
- Healthy Shamrock Shake
- Watermelon Cucumber Lemonade
- Blood Orange Mojito
- Dairy-Free Eggnog
- Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- Spiked Mulled Cider