This vegan chocolate milkshake is the perfect decadent and frosty treat. It’s much healthier than a classic milkshake, yet there are no bananas, no ice cream, and it’s 100% non-dairy!
I’m always down for a healthier spin on a classic treat. And for all of you kids at heart out there, this is the recipe for you! This vegan chocolate milkshake is the perfect treat on a hot summer day to cool off with. It tastes like an indulgent fast-food milkshake, but is made with healthy ingredients, naturally sweetened, and even sneaks in a vegetable!
How, you might ask? If you want to learn the ways of my vegan sorcery, you’ll have to read on to find out! (Trust me, this vegan chocolate shake recipe is well worth it).
Chocolate Milkshake Ingredients
Many of these ingredients are vegan staples so you may have some of these on hand!
- Plant-based milk – While you can simply choose your preferred plant milk, you may get a richer beverage if you opt for a creamier plant milk rather than one that’s more “thin,” i.e. more watery. You might try oatmilk or coconut milk, for example. While coconut milk is quite rich, it does contain many beneficial nutrients.
- Frozen riced cauliflower – Cauliflower delivers the creaminess to this recipe and it’s also packed with nutrition! Cruciferous vegetables are some of the most beneficial foods we can eat, and cauliflower is no exception. It’s super low in calories while being very dense in beneficial nutrients such as vitamins B6, C, and K, as well as folate, potassium, and manganese (among others).
- Nut butter – Nut butter is packed with protein and healthy fats. So long as you choose one that doesn’t have lots of salt, added sugar, or oils (like palm oil), it’s a healthy addition (in moderation) to just about anything. You can go for peanut butter with this recipe for a classic chocolate and peanut butter flavor.
- Cocoa powder or cacao powder – Cocoa powder (or cacao powder) comes from cocoa/cacao beans, which form the basis for chocolate. (Cocoa or cacao? The difference often comes down to marketing, but pay attention as some cocoa powder has lots of sugar added.) Pure cocoa powder will be extremely rich in beneficial compounds such as polyphenols, which are potent antioxidants. It also has magnesium and flavonols, which have been shown to have mood-boosting properties. Delicious and an anti-depressant? Win-win!
- Medjool dates – Dates are technically a fruit that comes from the date palm tree, and they’ve become increasingly popular as a natural sweetener. While they’re relatively high in calories, they’re equally high in nutrients and antioxidants: e.g. potassium, magnesium, copper, manganese, iron, and vitamin B6. See more below!
- Vanilla extract – It’s not a huge deal if you don’t include it, but vanilla extract definitely helps take this recipe to the next level!
Tips for a Creamy Milkshake
Here are some tips to help you achieve the perfect milkshake taste and consistency:
- Add vanilla or chocolate protein powder, or any other boosters listed in the recipe card below to ramp up the nutrition benefits!
- Put your glass in the freezer to chill while you gather the ingredients and make the milkshake
- Freeze milk in an ice cube tray to use in this recipe and other smoothie recipes for ultimate thickness and creaminess
- Pick a high-quality cocoa powder for the best and richest flavor
The Best Natural Sweetener: Medjool Dates
Medjool dates are considered a delicacy in many parts of the world. In fact, people originally grew Medjool dates for royalty in Morocco.
Why are Medjool dates such a good sweetener? This is because they are a fruit so it’s natural sugar that comes with some fiber as well. When you blend them into shakes and smoothies, you’re also adding thickness to the shake in addition to the many health benefits.
In fact, Medjool dates are rich in nutrients and antioxidants like copper, manganese, iron, and B6. While they are relatively high in calories and sugar, these are natural calories and sugar as opposed to a refined, nutrient-less sugar like high fructose corn syrup. When consumed in moderation, Medjool dates can make an excellent sweetener, especially for recipes such as my vegan chocolate milkshake recipe.
Milkshake Topping Options
This vegan chocolate milkshake is already delicious, but it can get even better with some choice toppings! Here are some of my carefully curated suggestions:
- Non-dairy whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
- Cacao nibs
- Chocolate sauce
- Strawberry or caramel syrup
- Mini chocolate chips
Add all of the ingredients (including any optional smoothie boosters), except the ice, to a high-speed blender and blend until fully incorporated.
Add the ice to the blender, and blend until you have a thick and creamy “milkshake.”
Pour into two glasses, top with toppings of your choice, and enjoy immediately!
Why You NEED to Make This Vegan Milkshake!
- Only 7 ingredients – With just seven ingredients, this milkshake is quick and easy whip up whenever you have a craving!
- Naturally sweetened with dates – With the amazing benefits of dates, this shake is healthier than many others out there! (Thanks to the non-dairy milk as well and real cacao powder as well.)
- The perfect spring and summer treat – When it gets hot outside, there are few things better than a cool, frosty milkshake!
- Easy to customize – You can add in all kinds of different ingredients and toppings so this milkshake becomes your own! Prefer almond butter to peanut butter? Use almond butter! Want to throw on a bunch of sprinkles? Do it!
- A great vegan option for kids – Some kids may turn their nose up at some vegan dishes, but I can guarantee you that they’ll love this one!
- No prep work is needed, just add everything to the blender and you’re done – Some recipes require an hour of prep work and a whole bunch of equipment. Not this one! You just have to add your ingredients to the blender and that’s it!
- Seriously, it’s so easy. You just blend and you’re done!
Let me know if you try out this vegan chocolate milkshake, and if you do, I would love it if you left a rating and review below! Make sure you are also following along on Instagram and Pinterest for more food inspiration.
Try more vegan treats below:
- Cake batter ice cream
- Strawberry banana popsicles
- Lemon poppy seed donuts
- Nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies
- Pomegranate chocolate tart
- Raspberry custard tart
- Matcha glazed donuts
- Millionaire shortbread bars
- Chocolate dipped ice cream bars
- Refined sugar-free apple crisp
- Pumpkin pie bars
- Gingersnap cookies