An authentic Spanish recipe – Beyond Sausage vegan paella. A perfect hearty dinner idea filled with vegetables and only made in one pot!
Paella is a popular rice dish that originates from Spain, specifically a region called Valencia. It is a hearty meal that is one of my favorites because it is full of flavor and because it is simple to make and only uses one pot!
Today we are making a Beyond Sausage vegan paella with artichoke, red pepper, peas, mushrooms, and lots of spices!
Main Ingredients in a Traditional Paella
Paella is a very meat-heavy dish. Originally, one of the main ingredients used in paella was water vole (a semi-aquatic rodent). As tastebuds became more evolved, the paella we know and love today was born.
Paella is now made with various meats. From fish to rabbit to chicken, it is completely up to you and your tastebuds. In addition to the meat, the rice is the other large component that makes up a paella. Traditionally, rice called bomba is used. Other varieties of rice you could use for a paella recipe are:
All of these rice options are short-grain, lightly rounded, and able to retain their shape during the cooking process.
The two final key ingredients that make up an authentic paella are saffron and paprika. These spices give the paella its amazing flavor!
Veganizing Paella Using Beyond Sausage
When trying to veganize this very meaty dish, we decided to go with Beyond Sausage. Beyond sausages, to me, look and taste so much like real sausage. When I first tried them, I had to ask myself, are Beyond sausages vegan? Luckily, they are completely vegan and a great meat alternative to eat on their own or in a dish like this paella recipe!
There are three different varieties of Beyond Sausage – brat original, hot Italian, and sweet Italian. We wanted all of the spices of the paella to come out so we went with the brat original for this recipe.
As for where you can buy Beyond Sausage, luckily, it is carried in a lot of major grocery stores! Whole Foods, Plum Market, Natural Grocers, Sprouts, Vons and so many more carry Beyond Sausage. Click here for the full list of locations.
What Makes a Good Paella
There are a few key elements that determine an okay paella from an incredibly delicious paella:
- A crisp, slightly caramelized bottom layer (also known as the socarrat). This layer is achieved through the fat from the sausage, even heat, and proper cook time.
- Using a paella pan or la paellera to distribute heat evenly and get you that socarrat layer. Paella pans are pretty inexpensive. I found mine at World Market for $17.
- Getting your heat source just right. Cooking the perfect paella is all about timing. You want all of the liquid to be absorbed, so the rice is fully cooked, and to cook it just enough to get the crispy bottom layer, but not too much that you end up with a burnt layer.
- Don’t stir the paella once you add the vegetable broth. If you stir the paella, it will result in a mushy texture, and you won’t get the socarrat layer.
Ready to make this delicious Beyond Sausage vegan paella? It is a great dish in so many ways. It’s:
Loaded with vegetables
Only uses one-pot
Easy to make
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES?
- Mediterranean Buddha Bowl
- Mushroom Mango Ceviche
- Stuffed Fried Olives
- Grilled Tofu Burgers
- Broccoli Leek Soup
- Greek Lemon Orzo Soup
- Pumpkin Soup
- Shepherd’s Pie with Beyond Beef
- Spicy Noodle Stir Fry