Learn how to make these vegan strawberry rosemary scones here. Finally – thick, flaky vegan scones that ooze with buttery goodness!
Scones can be a tough recipe to crack. Nine times out of ten, scones turn out dry and taste more like cardboard than a yummy treat. Luckily I have gone through many o’ scone recipes to discover a foolproof recipe for perfect, buttery vegan scones.
One of the best parts of scones is that you most likely have all the ingredients you need to bake these babies up sitting in your pantry right now!
The Best Scone Flavor Combinations
Today I am sharing a strawberry, rosemary scone recipe – a scrumptious paring. But, you can totally take the base of this recipe and change up your fillings! Some of my favorite varieties of scones include:
- Lemon and Blueberry Scones
- Chocolate Chip Scones
- Pumpkin Scones
- Cherry Vanilla Scones
- Orange and Cranberry Scones
- Almond Scones
- Cheddar and Chive Scones (bonus points if you add vegan bacon)
The Key to Making Perfect Vegan Strawberry Rosemary Scones
Now for why you are really here… how the heck do you get flaky, perfect scones? Make sure that no matter the scone recipe you adhere to these guidelines and I can ensure you that your scones will turn out fabulous:
- Place your mixing bowl in your freezer for a for minutes before you begin. Having chilled dough is a MUST if you want flaky, buttery scones.
- Refrain from over-mixing the dough. You want to keep chunks of butter in the dough so you get those pockets of buttery-goodness. If you feel your dough is getting too warm, feel free to pop it in your freezer for a couple minutes before you keep mixing.
- A good trick when baking anything with fruit in it is to toss the fruit in a little bit of flour before you mix it in with the dough. This will ensure all of the fruit doesn’t fall to the bottom of your tasty treats.
- Chill the scones in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before you put them in the oven. This will keep your scones thick, fluffy shape.
- Right before you stick your scones in the oven brush the top with a little bit of milk or heavy cream (I prefer Silk’s Dairy-Free Heavy Whipping Cream). This will give your scones a golden brown, crispy exterior.
The Base Recipe for Vegan Scones
If you aren’t a fan of strawberries or rosemary, no problem! You can easily use the base of this recipe and swap out the strawberries and rosemary for whatever fruit you are feeling like adding to your scones.
My Scone Secret
Do you want extra tasty scones? Well, I have just the trick for you! The most important step in my scone recipe is to add a sprig of rosemary and a couple star anise to a small pot with a tablespoon of water and bring the pot to a boil. Once boiling take it off the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes. Then, remove the rosemary spring and star anise and add the water to your dough. This infuses your dough with the rosemary flavor so every bite is packed with flavor!
I can’t wait for you to try these delicious vegan strawberry rosemary scones for yourself! If you do make these scones I would be super grateful if you left a review and comment below.
This is a special recipe in my heart because it’s my FIRST ever recipe on this blog. If you want to know a little bit more about me and my food journey click here!Print