Did someone say a VEGAN creamy broccoli leek soup? Today’s recipe is a delicious soup that no one would ever guess is completely dairy-free!
January means SOUP SEASON in my household! Soup is a hearty meal that you can fill with a ton of veggies, and most of them time only requires one pot (hooray for an easy clean up). I’ve been craving a creamy broccoli leek soup lately and am sharing my recipe with y’all today.
Vegan Broccoli Leek Soup Ingredients
The goal of this broccoli leek soup recipe is to make it taste as creamy as possible, when in fact it has no cream at all! Yes – this broccoli leek soup is totally dairy-free. Here are all the ingredients you’ll need to whip up this vegan broccoli soup.
- Broccoli – This ingredient I hope is an obvious one. For my fellow foodies that hate having food waste, rejoice, because this recipes uses ALL parts of the broccoli (stems and all)!
- Celery – A classic aromatic, celery is often the base of most soups. It adds a savory, umami flavor and perfectly complements the onions, garlic and spices in this recipe.
- Red Onion, Green Onion, Leeks and Garlic – In addition to celery, some onions and garlic really add dimension to the base of your soup. I also added some leeks in this recipe for more depth of flavor.
- Soy Milk and Soy Creamer – A combination of soy milk and soy creamer is what gives this soup its creamy texture. I prefer soy in this recipe compared to other milk alternatives because it is thick and has a muted flavor that allows for the broccoli and spices to truly shine.
- Vegan Mozzarella – A creamy vegan broccoli soup wouldn’t be complete without some dairy-free cheese! I have been loving the Violife Just Like Mozzarella lately, but feel free to substitute in your favorite vegan mozzarella.
- Spices – I am no stranger to spices! They bring your recipe to an entirely new flavor dimension if done right. For this broccoli soup I used paprika, nutmeg, white paper, salt and Trader Joe’s Umami Seasoning.
Equipment Needed to Puree the Broccoli Leek Soup
In order to get a creamy broccoli soup, you’ll need to puree it. There are a few options of kitchen gadgets you can use to get a smooth and creamy result!
Here are the tools you can use to puree the broccoli soup:
- Blender – This is probably the best method if you have a blender that can handle pureeing soups. I am saving up for the Vitamix a3500 this year. Blenders will give you the creamiest result, but are often more expensive than the other two options!
- Immersion Blender – An immersion blender is the method I used in this recipe. It is the cheapest option, and will leave your soup slightly less pureed than if you had used a blender. For this recipe, I actually like not having the soup completely pureed and the immersion blender leaves the soup with a great texture.
- Food Processor – A food processor will leave you with a more chunky soup than the other two options, but is still a good option if that’s what you have!
Tips for Cooking Vegan Broccoli Leek Soup
Here are some of the tips and tricks I learned while creating the recipe for this creamy vegan broccoli soup:
- Use a Cast Iron to cook the soup in if you have one! Cast Iron pots are always my preferred method for cooking soups because it leaves your soup with that extra bit of flavor. They are very reasonably priced and the more you cook in them, the better your food tastes!
- For this soup I prefer some texture so I don’t blend the soup completely. Leave some chunks in there for a tasty and beautiful soup that you can see some flecks of your ingredients throughout.
- If you don’t have a large blender, you’ll need to blend in batches. Let the soup cool for 20-30 minutes before transferring it to the blender.
Want More Tasty Vegan Recipes?
- Yellow curry
- Pineapple fried rice
- Creamy pink pasta
- Tofu Poke Bowl
- Pumpkin Pasta
- Grilled Tofu Burger
- Mediterranean Buddha Bowl
- Spicy Noodle Stir Fry
- Pumpkin Soup without Stock
- Beyond Sausage Paella
- Greek Lemon Soup
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Shepherd’s Pie with Beyond Beef
- Quinoa Lentil Meatloaf
Creamy Vegan Broccoli Leek Soup
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
A delicious and creamy vegan broccoli soup that no one would ever guess is completely dairy-free!
- 4 cups broccoli (stems and crowns), roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- White part of two leeks, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stock, 1/2 inch chopped
- Half a red onion, chopped
- White part of 3 green onions, chopped
- Green part of 1 green onion, chopped (save for garnish)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (separated to use 1 tablespoon at the beginning and one at the end)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon umami seasoning
- A dash of nutmeg
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 cup unsweetened soy creamer
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- Roughly chop broccoli into florets and slice the stems. On the stovetop, steam the broccoli with a little salt in a pan with the lid on for about 10 minutes or until it is bright green.
- While the broccoli is steaming, chop the leeks, celery, red onion, green onion and garlic.
- Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and coconut oil in a cast iron or large pot. Toss in the leeks, onion, celery, white part of the green onion, garlic, salt, and pepper, and sauté for 7 minutes, stirring consistently.
- Add the Better Than Bouillon, sweet paprika, white pepper, umami seasoning and nutmeg to the veggies and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Toss in the broccoli and stir for another minute. If anything is sticking to the bottom at this point, add a little water or white wine to deglaze the pan before adding the milk and creamer.
- Pour in the soy milk and soy creamer, and bring to a low boil. Once you see a few bubbles, turn off the stove and remove the pot from the heat.
- Wait about 20-30 minutes for the soup to cool and blend the soup using your preferred method – blender, immersion blender, or food processor. You might need to blend in batches depending on how big your blender or food processor is.
- After blending the soup, put it back on the stovetop over low heat and melt in the cheese and a tablespoon of butter.
- If you like more liquidy soups, leave the soup on the stovetop until it is heated through. If you like thicker soups, leave the soup on the stovetop for 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- Add more salt and/or pepper to taste, and garnish with green onions. Serve and get cozy!
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Comfort
- Calories: 343
- Sugar: 10.8g
- Sodium: 1630mg
- Fat: 20.6g
- Saturated Fat: 6.6g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Soup, Broccoli, Savory