A thick and creamy coffee banana smoothie bowl recipe. Filled with protein and energizing coffee, this bowl is everything a breakfast or snack should be!
Ahhh, smoothie bowls! When springtime finally rolls around, I am all about making smoothie bowls. They are a refreshing treat you can enjoy for breakfast or as a snack. Plus, you can bring out your inner creative side because the topping options are ENDLESS!
Recently, I decided to combine my two morning staples (coffee and smoothies), which resulted in a creamy coffee banana smoothie bowl! This recipe checks all the boxes because it is an energizing, indulgent treat packed with protein that starts my day off on a great note.
Coffee Banana Smoothie Bowl Ingredients
The base of this coffee banana smoothie bowl is made up of only five ingredients:
- One frozen banana
- A shot of espresso
- Nut butter of your choice (almond butter is my favorite)
- Dairy-free milk
- 1 scoop of vegan protein powder
Toppings for a Smoothie Bowl
Now for the fun part of the recipe - the toppings! You can't really go wrong with toppings. If you're feeling extra fancy, arrange your toppings in a cool pattern over top of the smoothie bowl. While it's not scientifically proven, I like to think that a nice arrangement of toppings makes it even more exciting to devour the smoothie bowl!
Here are some no-fail smoothie bowl toppings:
- Chia seeds
- Chocolate chips
- Coconut flakes
- Chopped or sliced nuts (almonds, peanuts, pecans, walnuts, cashews, macadamia, etc.)
- Fresh fruit (banana, berries, kiwi, mango, peach, pear, pineapple, etc.)
- Maple syrup
- Nut butter
- Pumpkin seeds
Tips for Making This Coffee Banana Smoothie Bowl
- I know what you were thinking the second you clicked on this recipe - how to thicken a smoothie bowl? Am I right? The key to getting that thick and creamy result lies in a couple of things. First, you must use frozen bananas. This avoids having to use any ice, which will make more of an icy texture rather than a smooth texture. Second, you must also use chilled espresso or coffee. I like to "meal prep" my coffee on Sunday for the week ahead. Simply make a few espresso shots or a coffee press and put it in your refrigerator, so you have it ready for your smoothie bowl in the morning!
- A quality blender is also a must if your a smoothie addict like me. Once you make the switch to a nice, high-speed blender, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I have the Nutri Ninja Blender Kitchen System.
- Isn't it the worst when you're smoothie bowl starts quickly melting the second you start eating it? To avoid this, place your bowl in the freezer for about 10 minutes, so your smoothie stays nice and chilled while you're eating it.
This coffee banana smoothie bowl is going to be your spring and summer go-to because it's
- Packed with protein
- Naturally sweet
Let me know if you try out this coffee banana smoothie bowl recipe, and if you do, I would love it if you left a rating and review below! Make sure you are also following along on Instagram and Pinterest for more food inspiration.
Other yummy vegan breakfast recipes:
- Overnight Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
- Strawberry Rosemary Scones
- Vegan French Toast with Just Egg
- Vegan Breakfast Hash in a Skillet
- Just Egg Review